There are lots of universities in Abia State, however, we will focus our subject of discussion on those approved by the National Universities Commission ( NUC). Due to the high relevance of university education in our society today, it is important we only provide information on universities accredited by NUC.
The idea behind this decision is that we believe universities accredited by NUC have met a certain standard, and have what it takes to provide the right education and resources to our teeming youth population in the university.
In addition, getting the right information before applying for admission to any institution, will help aspiring undergraduates not to make avoidable decisions that could jeopardize their admission.
In this article, we will provide a detailed list of accredited universities in the abia state, including their admission process, management, school fees, programs offered, and more. After reading this article, we expect admission seekers to be well informed to make decisions that will favor their admissions.
Universities in Abia State
The number of NUC accredited universities in Abia state is 7. For convenience, we will be looking at each of them broadly based on the kind of university. The main type of universities you can find in Abia State includes:
- Federal University
- State University
- Private University
Federal University in Abia State.
Federal universities are higher institutions of learning established by the federal government. These universities’ fees are relatively cheap compared to their counterparts.
As a result of the support these kinds of institutions get from the federal government, they are most sought after in Nigeria. In Abia state, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture is the only federal university.
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike.
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture was established as a specialized university by the federal government of Nigeria in November 1992 but resumed official activities in May 1993.
The federal university which was formerly known as the federal university of agriculture is located in an Agricultural Training and Research town in Umudike, Abia State, Nigeria.
The current number of students enrolled in the university is about thirty-nine thousand and seventy-eight. The management of the federal university is currently led by the vice-chancellor, Professor Maduebibisi Ofo Iwe.
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture School Fees Range
Like most federal universities in Nigeria, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture’s tuition fee is free. However, students are still expected to meet certain financial responsibilities in the institution.
Some of them include registration charges, utility and service charges, student health insurance dues, portal maintenance, and more.
For first-year students in all colleges at the Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, the total fees they are expected to pay is 93,000 naira, excluding hostel accommodation fees.
Colleges and Departments in Michael Okpara University of Agriculture
This federal university has eleven colleges, two schools, fifty-seven departments, and sixteen directories.
The colleges you can find in the university include:
- College of Animal Science and Animal Production
- College of Education
- College of Agricultural Economics, Rural Sociology, and Extension.
- College of Applied Food Science and Tourism
- College of Crop and Soil Science
- College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
- College of Management Science
- College of Natural Sciences.
- College of Natural Resources and Environmental Management
- College of Physical and Applied Science
- College of Veterinary Medicine.
Programs Offered in Michael Okpara University of Agriculture
- Undergraduate Studies: This program is designed for students who want to gain a bachelor’s degree after completion of their education. Interested applicants can gain admission into the undergraduate program bypassing the required cut-off mark for the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board Exam, and having a minimum of 5 credit passes at the SSCE or any other equivalent exams. Other means of gaining admission info this program at Michael Okpara University of Agriculture includes direct entry, transfer, and pre-degree.
- Postgraduate Diploma Programme: Applicants interested in this program are expected to have a minimum of third class honors bachelor’s degree from this institution or others approved by the senate. Holders of higher national degrees at the distinction level from other institutions are also accepted.
- Master’s Degree Program: Applicants for this program should have a second class honors bachelor’s degree in this institution or others approved by the senate. Applicants with upper credit in the postgraduate diploma program from the institution are also accepted.
State University in Abia State
State Universities are higher institutions of learning established and managed by the state the institution is located. In Abia state, just one state university is present.
Abia State University, Uturu
Abia state is a state-owned university established in 1981 by Sam Mbakwe, the then Governor of Imo State. On establishment, the university was located in Imo State and was known as Imo State University, Etiti.
Abia State University of today is presently located in Uturu, in Abia State, Nigeria. The university has two campuses, the main campus in Uturu, while the annex campus is in Umuahia, the state capital.
The state-owned university’s vice-chancellor is Professor Onyemachi M. Ogbulu, a professor of finance.
Abia State University School Fees Range
The school fees for students undergoing an undergraduate program at Abia State University differs from department to department, and also concerning level.
Departments like medicine and surgery, medical lab science, optometry, law, accountancy, nursing sciences, architecture, and estate management pays the highest school fees in this university. Their first year student pays 56,000 naira for tuition fee, 50,000 naira for acceptance fee, 30,000 naira for accreditation fee, and 50,000 naira for development fee.
Colleges and Departments in Abia State University
The state owned university offers about 90 programs for undergraduate and graduate students in 10 colleges. These colleges include:
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
- College of Biological and Physical Sciences
- College of Business Administration
- College of Education
- College of Engineering and Environmental Studies
- College of Law
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences
- College of Optometry
- College of Postgraduate Studies.
Programs Offered in Abia State University
- Undergraduate Program: Some of the undergraduate programs offered in Abia State University include regular, IAS, IDEA and Sandwich.
- Postgraduate Program: The university offers post graduate diploma, master and doctorate programs.
There are a total of 4 private universities accredited by NUC in Abia state. These universities are run independent of government support. They include:
Gregory University Uturu
Gregory University is a private university located in Uturu in Abia State. The university which was founded in 2012, was named after Pope Gregory. The current vice chancellor of the institution is Professor Augustine A. Uwakwe.
Gregory University School Fees Range
Like most universities, first year undergraduates pay a higher amount of fees in Gregory University. However, students in the faculty of medicine pay a higher amount, which is above a million inclusive of accommodation.
Colleges and Departments in Gregory University
The university has about 8 colleges and over thirty departments. The colleges you will find in Gregory University include:
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences
- College of Law
- College of Engineering
- College of Agriculture
- College of Environmental Sciences
- College of Humanities
- College of Natural and Applied Sciences
- Joseph Bokai College of Social and Management Sciences
Programs Offered in Gregory University
Gregory University offers both undergraduate programs and postgraduate programs. Applicants wanting to get into their undergraduate degree program can come in through UTME, transfer, direct entry, or through Joint University Preliminary Examination Board (JUPEB).
For their postgraduate programs, they include master’s program, postgraduate diploma, and doctorate programs.
Clifford University Owerrinta
Clifford University is a religious owned institution of learning established by the Seventh Day Adventist Church in 2013. The university is located in Ihie in Abia State. It was approved by the government in 2016. The current vice chancellor of the university is Professor Chimezie Omeonu
Clifford University School Fees Range
The tuition fees for Clifford University differ from faculty to faculty, with faculty of basic medical science and faculty of law paying the highest fee of about 855,000 naira.
Faculties and Departments in Clifford University
The university has a total of about 5 faculties, including:
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social and Management Science
Programs Offered in Clifford University
Clifford University offers a pre degree, foundation, and undergraduate program.
Spiritan University Nneochi
Spiritan University is a privately owned institution of learning located in Nneochi in Abia State, Nigeria. The university was established by members of the Congregation of the Holy Spirit (Spiritans) in 2017.
The current vice chancellor of the university is Very Rev. Fr. Prof. Remy N Onyewuenyi.
Spiritan University School Fees Range
The total fees per session for undergraduates in the faculty of arts, management, and social science is 345,000 naira, while those for faculty of natural and applied sciences is 385,000 naira.
Faculties and Departments in Spiritan University
The university has about 14 departments in 2 faculties. The two faculties include:
- Faculty of Art, Management and Social Sciences.
- Faculty of Natural and Applied Sciences.
Programs offered in Spiritan University
The university offers students an undergraduate program. Applicants are expected to meet the required JAMB cut off point to gain admission into their institution.They also offer a JUPEB program.
Rhema University is a Christian-owned university founded by the Living World Ministries International. The university is currently located at Aba – Owerri road, Aba, in Abia State.
It was accredited by NUC in 2009. The current vice chancellor of the university is Professor O.C Onwudike, a former vice chancellor of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture.
Rhema University School Fees Range
Rhema University school fees depend on the academic program enrolled, and it ranges between 400,000 – 500,000 naira.
Colleges and Departments in Rhema University
Rhema University has about 10 departments and two colleges.
Programs offered by Rhema University
Rhema University offers undergraduate degree programs, as well as pre degree programs through its School of Basic Studies.
So far we have been able to give a detailed list of the major universities in Abia State. As we can see, the programs and fees differ in each university. Therefore, it is important we know if a particular institution offers a program of our interest before enrolling.
Kindly comment and request for any informations you might need as regardings Universities in Abia state.
Check out for more detailed articles about studying in Nigeria.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many universities does Abia state have?
- Abia state has about 5 universities, a federal university, a state university, and 3 private universities.
Does Abia State University accept second choice candidates?
- Yes, it accepts candidates who made them second choice.
What is the cut off mark for Abia State University?
- The UTME cut off mark for Abia State University is 160.
Is Gregory University accredited?
- Yes, Gregory University was accredited by the National Universities Commission on the 17th of April, 2022.